Be Safe with Your Holiday Decorations

12/07/2015 lswaney






It’s time to decorate for the holidays, but please consider these important tips on how to keep your family safe, as well as your home. And, if you are all ready for the holidays, please double check your décor according to this list.

General Rules for Holiday Safety

Keep matches, lighters, and candles out of the reach of children.

Avoid smoking near flammable decorations.

Make an emergency plan to use if a fire breaks out anywhere in the home. See that each family member knows what to do.

Avoid wearing loose flowing clothes near open flames – such as a fireplace, stove, or candlelit table.

Never burn candles near evergreens. Burning evergreens in the fireplace can also be hazardous. When dry, greens burn like tinder. Flames can flare out of control, and send sparks flying into a room, or up the chimney.

Plan for safety. Remember, there is no substitute for common sense.

OUTDOORS   Make sure the lights used are designated for outdoor use and the cords are not worn or frayed. • Stay clear of all overhead wires. • Do not replace bulbs when the electricity is on. • Keep connections and lights off the ground by hanging them over wooden stakes.

INDOORS       If using a live tree, make sure it is fresh and green, with needles that are hard to pull from the  branches. Place the tree in a stand with water, well away from heaters or the fireplace. Check water daily. Examine all lights before putting them on the tree or using them in other home decorations. Do not use lights with frayed wiring or loose sockets •   For greater efficiency and safety, use smaller LED lights, which burn cooler and use about 75 percent less energy than traditional bulbs.

Make sure all light sockets have bulbs in them. Children are fascinated by lights and could put their fingers in empty sockets.                                                      

  • Keep bulbs from touching tree branches.

Never use lights on a metallic tree. If the lights become faulty, the entire tree could be electrified.

  • Be careful not to overload extension cords, outlets or even whole circuits in the house.
  • Turn off decorative lighting when you leave the room.
  • Place wires where they cannot trip anyone. Do not run them under rugs.
Get More Minutes